By: Doug Baker, Vice President, Private Brands, Food Marketing Institute
According to the 2015 U.S. Grocery Shopper Trends report, 69 percent of shoppers said private brands were considered very or somewhat important when they were selecting their primary grocery store. That tells me that more and more people are seeing a grocery store’s private brand as an extension of the store’s brand. If the shopper really loves your store experience, then perhaps they’ll be more willing to give your private brand a try. On the flip side, if a shopper has a bad experience with your private brand product, well, you know the end of that story.
With the growing importance private brands play for food retailers, we’re paying special attention to ensure attendees at FMI Connect walk away with the ideas, tools, contacts and more to make their private brand sales increase. Here are three parts of FMI Connect you won’t want to miss if you’re looking to capitalize on your private brands:
- Connect Business Exchange (CBX) is where trading partner meetings happen with current and potential customers. There also is an exclusive Private Brand Reception where you can connect with peers.
- There are approximately 10 distinct education sessions that highlight the latest research and insights into the changing consumer landscape that private label needs to address including:
- Top Trends in Global Private Brands Innovation – We’ll take a very close look at the leaders in private brands – Europeans – who have been innovating in private brands for years.
- Applying Global Food and Flavor Trends to Private Brands – We’ll introduce attendees to drivers behind the changes in food and flavor trends including outside influences such as economics, travel trends, industry, and consumer trends.
- Driving Private Label Sales Through Digital Execution – Let’s consider how retailers can use digital channels as a key part of a strategy to drive private label sales.
- The Private Brand Zone is your hub on the expo floor for private brands with highlights including:
- A food truck and coffee bar experience to highlight private brand innovation;
- 20-minute “Brand Bite” education sessions tailored to private brands discussions;
- Solution Pods for one-on-one exploratory sessions with industry experts; and
- A feature product showcase that displays the latest in packaging and products.
Register today and learn more at www.FMIConnect.net and I look forward to seeing you in Chicago in June!