FMI’s Power of Private Brands 2022 finds attributes like sustainability and health and well-being entice more shoppers to choose private brands
Arlington, VA – FMI—the Food Industry Association today releases its 2022 Power of Private Brands report, revealing that 40% of consumers have bought more private brands since before the pandemic, and three-quarters of these shoppers plan to continue this trend. While 63% of private brands shoppers consider private brands to be a good value and 55% buy private brands because they are less expensive, additional factors are driving consumer affinity for these products, including quality, taste, sustainability and contributions to health and well-being.
“While we know price and out-of-stocks have led consumers to try more private brands, we’re seeing these factors aren’t the only reasons shoppers continue to purchase private brand products,” says FMI’s Vice President of Industry Relations Doug Baker. “Less than two percent of shoppers say the only reason they purchase private brands is because other products were out-of-stock. When asked about 14 product attributes, shoppers identified an average of four reasons for choosing private brand products. Clearly shoppers’ interest in private brand products extends beyond just price.”
Taste and Quality Reign Supreme
Nearly half (42%) of shoppers who are buying more private brands say they like the taste of private brand products, and shoppers rank the importance of taste of private brands and name brands equally, both at 78%. In addition, most shoppers (66%) say quality is important to them when choosing private brand items, and more than 43% of shoppers are buying store brands because of their quality.
“When it comes to taste and quality, shoppers clearly see private brands as a good option, on par with national brands,” added Baker.
Additional Attributes Lure Shoppers to Private Brands
Consumers reveal additional positive perceptions of private brand product attributes that inspire their purchases:
- When meal planning, 24% of shoppers purchasing more private brands say that private brand products “meet their meal solution needs” and 23% find their ingredients appealing. Additionally, 20% note a private brands product may fit their health needs.
- Shoppers report buying more private brands for sustainability factors, including convenient or resealable packaging (19%) and better for the planet (14%).
- Shoppers suggest that they’re more inclined to purchase private brands if they “look interesting” (20%) or if they’re perceived as “innovative or unique” (13%).
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a gratis copy of the Power of Private Brands 2022 report.
- Please utilize The Power of Private Brands 2022 infographic video as a multimedia component of your coverage.