Some simple energy saving practices addressed in the video include:
- Proper stacking of cases.
- Closing freezer and cooler doors when not in use.
- Regular cleaning of equipment grills and filters.
- Maintaining HVAC and refrigeration temperature controls at approved set points.
- Turning down oven temperatures during non-peak times.
“By observing a few easy steps on a daily basis, every employee can affect energy consumption levels of the store and potentially save hundreds of thousands of dollars each year,” said Kathy Loftus, director of energy and environmental management, Shaw’s Supermarkets, Inc., and chair of the FMI Energy and Technical Services committee. “The video offers easy, low-risk guidelines for energy management which could dramatically improve the financial bottom line of supermarkets.”
To purchase Energy Management in Your Store ($50 retailer/wholesaler members; $85 associate members; $100 nonmembers), please contact the FMI Store (202-220-0723, www.fmi.org/pub).